Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Have A Large Family

If we talk long enough......we will be kin. I have so many relatives that it is not even funny. I have three children. I have a brother, sister, two nieces, two nephews, two great nieces and a great nephew......... I am not through. That is just immediate family.

My Mother had nine brothers and sisters and my Daddy had a brother and four sisters. From these aunts and uncles I have 29 first cousins. Most of these first cousins have had children of their own and the best I can count there are 34 more.

None of these counts include the generations of cousins, great aunts and uncles who are my parents age and older.

Now......between the blood relatives and their spouses......I am kin to just about everyone.

When new people move to the town I live in, I let them know up front that I am kin by blood or marriage to just about everyone in town. It will save them some embarassment later on IF, they decide they don't like me and they want to gossip about me. Chances are the person they are talking to are kin and IT WILL GET BACK TO ME.

You have to be really careful about who you date when you have a large family. You better do a background check and get a complete list of your ancestors. It would be really embarassing to find out that the boy you have a crush on.....is.....another cousin. Fortunately....to my knowledge......there is NONE of that inbreeding in my family!

Having a large family is great! Well.......sometimes. Big familes are great at holidays and other gatherings. There is so much going on that you don't get bored. On the other hand, there is always some family member around to tell on you when you don't do what you are supposed to.

My extended family is so large and widespread, we might only see each other once a year or so. But, when I need them most my family is ALWAYS there for me. Mother, brother,sister, aunts, uncles and cousins. They all show up or call when I need them most. I bet it is because I am their favorite! Just kidding.....it is really because they are the greatest family on earth!

No comments: